Friday, January 13, 2012

Day Two of 'THE TREATMENT' (click link below)

***Read the title above, then click this link (and then the back arrow to go back to blog page when done): 

Well let’s all remember this is a slow process. I of course, as mentioned in other posts, don’t expect to see any real change until sometime in week 3. However, it is still my quest to continue this blog through the entire treatment process – (and hope to keep it interesting)…. Hmmmm

Today’s treatment was my pdoc’s first rTMS solo mission – and he did very well. He even tried helping me not flinch at the start of every train (I believe I explained trains in yesterdays blog). The pulses from the machine are extremely loud – so loud that ear protection is required, and although there isn’t a great deal of pain associated with the treatment, I still jump every time the pulses start. My pdoc nicely counted down the final 5 seconds of the pause between trains (the pause that I thought and posted yesterday, as 60 seconds is actually 45 seconds).

Here are a couple of pictures I promised in yesterday’s blog:

My great and powerful cap (sans me):


Here is the view I have from my ‘treatment throne’; (sorry I can't get the photo turned)
(a much better view than I had in Ponoka, which was of a hospital gurney, an ECT machine, and all the scary medical equipment required to resuscitate the patient  if something bad happens.)


Here is a better picture of the paddle used to administer the treatments:


With the second treatment complete – I had the same ache in my jaw and neck, which has, of writing this, pretty much gone. And again just under two hours after the treatments I was and remain exhausted – I would love to sleep for a month, but since I am no longer on sleeping meds I would be just as happy to get a few hours.

My pdoc also noted that my blood pressure is elevated – something I have never had trouble with until I started Seroquel  - but we had reduced the dosage to an extremely low 25mg a long time ago, and I didn’t think the drug could cause such issues. I am thinking of maybe not taking it tomorrow night, and see if my blood pressure is lower when I go in on Saturday.

My pdoc also lowered my Lamictal from 100mg to 50mg, to see if the drug is interfering with my motor threshold. I reduced it for tonight, and he plans to retest my motor threshold Tuesday or Wednesday to see if the change makes a difference. Right now I am at 80% of the machine’s full strength, when I first received the treatment in Ponoka (a year + ago), I was at about 65% (although I think they had their old machine then).

I am still extremely suicidal – and I am finding it very difficult to be a good parent to a teenager. Teenagers are like 4 year olds, they just say it like, their hormone filled, eyes see it.

I am very lucky as for the most part, I have a great kid!!!!   J



2 comments:

  1. It's not typos so much as it's punctuation :P. What is a motor threshold?
    Good blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), the Motor Threshold (MT) is the minimum intensity required to evoke a liminal response in the target muscle. Because the MT reflects cortical excitability, the TMS intensity needs to be adjusted according to the subject's MT at the beginning of every TMS session.

      Delete