Sunday, January 22, 2012

Treatment #10 – half way!!!!!! Plus my Ketamine experience……..


Had the rTMS treatment at 9 am this morning, it went very well. (Blood pressure still high, ugh.)

I came home, had a coffee and a waffle. Sat down and thought, ‘hmmm what to do???’ I came up with lots of stuff I needed to do, so I went back to bed instead – I’m glad I did. When I finally climbed out of bed, I didn’t feel as drained as these past days when I did stuff after the treatment.

What did we learn kids, rest after treatments!!!

I realize this is the worst post in the history of posts – for this I apologize!

Maybe this would be a good time to tell you about my Ketamine Drug trial at NIH.

Art Therapy 'Clay Dan' NIH 2009

I remember the night before, I never slept a wink. I was scared to death, about what was about to happen and whether it would work. At the time we do not know if we are going to get the Ketamine or a placebo.  The trial includes two injections two or so weeks apart, one a placebo the other the real deal. The morning of the first injection is kind of just fragments of memories. I remember being terrified, but I don’t remember how I got from the unit to the hospital ward area.

My Ketamine Study Calendar

The place where the drug was administered looked like any other ‘recovery room-esk’, a bunch of gurneys separated by curtains.  I was laying on a gurney, surrounded by my nurse, my NIH Psychiatrist, and another wonderful doctor that was present at all of the treatments (sadly her name escapes me). I was hooked up to an IV (although I think the IV was started in my room back in the unit, but I am not sure ugh). They hooked me up to a heart, oxygen, and blood pressure monitor. Then they explained what was going to happen. ‘Someone would be bringing in the unmarked medication, they didn’t know if it was the Ketamine or not, the medication would be injected slowly over a (?10 or so minute) period’. I think they mentioned all the possible side effects again. My new American friends at NIH that had already had the real thing, told me about their reactions, so I had some idea of what to expect. 

So there I am laying there freaking out inside, trying to be all cool. Of course I couldn’t fool the heart monitor, so they knew I was stressed (PS remember this is Dan – without any medications, 100% zero)

They start to administer the medication… nothing at first.  Then I start to feel a little weird, and my chest feels tight, and I feel like I am not able to breathe. I mentioned my concern to the doctors, and they assure me that my oxygen and heart rate are good. Still freaking out I feel like there is a great weight on my chest.  Strangely as the weight on my chest increases, my body starts to feel really light. I feel like I am starting to float up off of the bed. Sadly that was the extent of the ‘cool’ feelings from the Ketamine – floating… hmmmm rip off. Thankfully the side effects are very short lived with the Ketamine (about 10 minutes after the injection). With the effects gone, including the scary ones, I CRASH.

The sadness was more powerful than anything I have ever experienced, and as you have read in previous posts depression has been a huge part of my life. It was immediate and powerful! I couldn’t stop crying. The nurse and doctors were pretty freaked out, as they tried their best to calm me down.

They could not…

I was super exhausted after that, and they took me back to my room to sleep. The days that followed were terrifying.  I could not get out of the deep black hole, suicidal thoughts increased and intensified. I finally had to drop out of the study before I killed myself. I would have had to stay off meds for another 4 plus weeks if I wanted to stay in the study, and I knew the next drug I was going to get was the placebo. Yeah no way could I last any longer. They got me on meds right away, and kept a very close eye on me.

Well that is the tale of the Ketamine injection…….. I still have a few more stories from NIH, but we will save those for another time.

My NIH Lab Mouse....

Talk to y’all tomorrow!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment